HMB City Council video: not exactly live, but pretty darn fast

Posted by on Tue, September 19, 2006

border=
Darin Boville
Click on the picture to see the video in Quicktime format, or click here for Windows Media format.

Coastsider is experimenting with fast-turnaround video publishing from local events. Our dress rehearsal was tonight’s Half Moon Bay City Council meeting.  Tonight, Darin Boville recorded the meeting straight to disk, processed it on the spot and uploaded tonight’s clip to the Web from the Coastwave hotspot in front of La Di Da Cafe. Tonight, we present the public comments from the city council meeting still in progress.

This is terrific.  Great job Darin and Barry.  I look forward to more videos.

Kathryn

Tue, September 19, 2006 11:36pm
Hal Bogner

Thanks, Darin and Barry!

But I must ask…is it really true, that the City Attorney says he and his staff will do research on whether or not to charge a $200 fee on Jimmy Benjamin’s appeal, at a cost that certainly must be more than $200 of billable time doing the research?  Yuck.

-hal

Darin:
Thanks—that was really helpful! I arrived at the City Council Meeting about an hour late, so I missed the “Oral Communications” period which is the subject of the video. I especially recommend that people take note of Ken King’s praiseworthy comments that call attention to distortions of fact emanating from one particular elected offical of the Coastside County Water District (CCWD).

Wed, September 20, 2006 10:52am
Sofia Freer

Great start Barry and Darin! I’m looking forward to future full coverage of HMB city council meetings, select planning commission meetings, and other noteworthy community events.  How many of these do you think you can handle?

Wed, September 20, 2006 9:01pm
Ray Olson

This is great Barry!
Not sure about Ken’s comments since there happens to be no context around it, though George’s comments were a bit comical.
Ray

Fri, September 22, 2006 8:11pm
George Muteff

I was present at this City Council meeting, and saw Barry and Darin (filming). I thought they were there for a particular Agenda Item, but as it turns out they were trying something new. When I got home from the meeting I had a couple of emails refering to my presentation during Oral Communications (regarding the size of a horse’s brain). I wondered how these people knew, considering they weren’t there, until one of them said it was on Coastsider. I looked, and watched. Great job. One step closer to live. Thanks to Barry and Darin for a job well done. I’m not sure if it’s Window’s Media, or the taping, but the images are a bit fuzzy. Perhaps it’s better on Quicktime. Either way, a good step forward. Thanks again, gentlemen.

George Muteff

Mon, September 25, 2006 7:50pm
terry gossett

Barry and Darin—

Lots better than hard, plastic chairs on an old body…

So, what’s next?  can we email you our oral comments?

OR…how about a data base (GIS would be excellent?)  on local topics of interests to augment the gov data..?  say, sub std lots, antiquated lots, non-conforming lots, designated storm drain systems, identified and validated wetlands, wetlands by assertion only…etc

Keep up the good work for our community.

terry

Mon, September 25, 2006 11:30pm
Darin Boville

Hi Terry,

Speaking of GIS, I actually put together an idea along those lines about year ago, but it is dormant for lack of funding.

The basic idea was to photograph all the empty lots, substandard lots, etc—all those places that are topics of conversation here—and put the photographs and some basic info on the properties into an online database.

The motivation was the simple need to make some of these arguements less abstract—I thought it would be good to see a given parcel and know a little about it when making a case for or against development on it.

I even considered redoing the photos once every five years or so, to give all of us a easy way to see the changes on the coast.

All of this could be tied into an interactive map where you could view the locations by a variety of criteia (e.g. substandard, recenetly developed, etc).

Thought it would be a valauble community resource no matter what one’s perspective on the issues.

Someday…

—Darin

Tue, September 26, 2006 3:55pm
N Chicotel

Wow - what a great service to the community! Being an early riser, I rarely attend any event after sundown. I look forward to more of these “broadcasts” that can teach me what goes on at City Hall.