ATM/Debit/Credit Fraud on the Coastside
Posted: 17 May 2007 02:43 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-26

We’ve just had a fraudulent “not card present” & “no PIN entered” debit card transaction processed at a local gas/convenience store where we’ve never used our debit card at all.  The transaction was so small (probably a suitcase of beer) that our bank just did a courtesy credit and won’t even look into the transaction.

We’re worried that someone may be running a bunch of coastsider ATM numbers through transactions like these and through local “cooperating” businesses (the business has to go out of its way to do a “not card present” & “no PIN entered” transaction).

If anyone else has had this happen recently, please post a reply or get in touch with me directly (and I’ll tell you where it happened).  If this wasn’t an isolated incident, then we probably should report this to the police.

Posted: 18 May 2007 10:50 AM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-26

A clarification: my credit union’s policy is to immediately cancel the cards in question when there is a report of fraud - so whoever had our card numbers isn’t able to do anything - and we reported the fraud the very day of the transaction - one advantage to having on-line banking. 

And banks have become much more friendly about dealing with fraud - I remember some years ago they would actually charge you $5 or so for replacement cards - our replacement cards arrived via FedEx overnight 2 days later.  At no charge.

So, you may want to check your on-line reports or statements to see if there is something funny going on.  As I said, this did happen at a very popular gas station & convenience store in HMB.