Will the coast change with the completion of the Devil’s Slide tunnels?
Posted: 18 June 2007 11:04 PM
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2004-06-23

When the tunnels are finally completed will the coastside change?
Will Montara become the next ‘Monterey’?
Will house prices on the coast soar to even more ludicrous heights?
Will traffic to the coast increase?
Will it force an improvement in infrastructure?

The opening of the old Slide road to foot traffic when the tunnels are finished will certainly produce a new coastal attraction, that’s for sure. I hear many different opinions on the effects of the tunnels on coastal life in the future.

Me, I personally think that will have little impact on the day-to-day life of the average coastsider, unless you commute to the city, or visit Pacifica on a regular basis. Will more people come to visit the coast because of it? I doubt it. The tunnels are a good thing, no doubt. I’m just curious about the perception of coastal life after they deliver the first visitor through the mountain rather than around it.

Maybe here is a subject for your first poll Barry!

Kevin

Posted: 19 June 2007 05:45 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

I’m sure I’m far from alone in thinking that after the tunnels are open, real estate prices on the Coastside, probably even as far down as HMB, will jump up.  Over the years I have encountered many people who basically questioned why I would want to live here because it’s so difficult to get here.  (Some of them will not drive SR 1 between Montara and Pacifica at all.  Some will not drive SR 92 either.)  And with the routine closing of SR 92 for hours at a time due to accidents, without another good way in and out some people just don’t want to deal with it.  When that becomes almost a non-issue due to the tunnels opening, more people are going to be interested in living here.  Supply and demand says that will drive up prices.  And higher prices are likely to motivate more owners of vacant land to finally develop them, so I also think we’re going to see higher growth rates in the unincorporated Midcoast.

Oh, and I think more people will come visit the coast when it’s easier and safer.

I just had this odd vision of cars flying out of the Montara end of the tunnel at high speed, which led to another vision of skeet shooting…