Deer Crossing Sign
Posted: 06 July 2007 12:16 AM
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-07-03

A deer crossing sign really needs to be put up on Hwy 1 between Pacifica and Montara near Devil’s Slide. I drive through this area late at night coming home from work, and I frequently see deer and their fawns on the road. 

On June 24th,  Sunday night, I almost hit a deer and her beautiful fawn standing frozen in the middle of the road.  Luckily,  I drive slow in this area and avoided a collision. I was able to honk and flash my headlights to alert three other cars that were approaching the area. The deer and her fawn ran away, but it could of been a major accident for all of us.  Unfortunately, I saw a deceased fawn on the side of the road in the same area a few weeks ago.

The specific deer crossing area is on Hwy 1, just south of Pacifica as you enter the forested area, just north of Devil’s Slide. I am guessing that the construction for the tunnel has disrupted the deer’s habitat.  I have called and emailed DOT and hope to hear from them on what needs to happen to push this through. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Posted: 06 July 2007 08:41 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

You point out the worst problem area, but it is not tunnel construction that is making it bad. This has been a road-killing zone for deer for many years.

Carl May

Posted: 15 November 2007 12:53 AM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-07-03

Dwight Caldwell from the Department of Transportation called last week and said that the Fish and Game have approved putting in a deer crossing sign near the slide and just south of Pacifica. They expect the signs to be posted in the next several months. Please everyone slow down traveling Devil’s Slide and watch out for deer, especially at night.

Posted: 15 November 2007 05:30 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

At least three warning signs should be used, one near the bottom of the hill (heading south just past Linda Mar), one at the top of that hill (beginning the stretch where deer become trapped on pavement, with its bad footing, between the K-rail on both sides of the road), and one on the highway heading north near the entrance to McNee Ranch. Not that many drivers will take the the signs seriously, but at least the rate of collisions with deer might be reduced slightly.

Carl May