mountain lion sightings?
Posted: 13 September 2007 12:13 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-04-09

I was just curious how many people have seen a mountain lion around here lately. Two friends of mine saw one yesterday near the blufftop slightly south of Gray Whale Cove. It was just sitting, not doing anything scary.

I heard through the grapevine that someone else actually saw a mountain lion take down a deer toward the back of the Elm Street flower fields in late August or early September.

I’m not trying to start a witch hunt - I am just curious. Most likely it is coming down here for water and will head back to higher ground once the rains start.

Beverly

Posted: 27 September 2007 10:57 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-09-03

Beverly - Mountain Lions are sighted fairly regularly in the back parts of Montara, Moss Beach and El Granada, and throughout the Rancho Corral de Tierra property and the parks on Montara Mountain. I had on in my yard once when I lived in back of Montara. The Midcoast communities are fortunate (yea, blessed) to be on the edge of tens of thousands of acres of contiguous protected open space, and there are indeed wild animals out there that may occasionally wander close to residences. Fortunately, this same area also supports a healthy population of deer and other prey and plenty of water for the lions, so they are unlikely to be down around houses out of hunger or thirst. Mountain Lions that come close to the towns are most likely young males looking to stake out their own territory, and usually move on after a brief exploration.

But they are about, and one should know how to deal with it if needed. MROSD has a good basic information page:
http://www.openspace.org/preserves/highlight_mountain_lions.asp

chuck

Posted: 28 September 2007 12:51 AM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2005-11-07

Before we get too many false reports on ‘sightings’, please note in the above link for tracks that cats retract their claws leaving no impression in their tracks.

There was one item of significance omitted on the Mountain Lions page referenced. It should be unnecessary to point out, but since we have a lot of ‘city folk’ - NEVER approach a cub assuming that mom has abandoned it!

Ken

Posted: 02 October 2007 11:34 AM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-09-10

thank you for this info.