Access to the bunkers, birdseye view of Pedro Rock?
Posted: 11 November 2007 11:36 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-09-23

I’m an intermediate level photographer and a resident of Moss Beach for almost 10 years.  My wife and I have always been curious about that’s up at the two bunkers along Devil’s slide.  Has anyone hiked up to either one?  I’m particularly interested in the one up the steep hill (the northern-most bunker).  I’m not sure I want to be arrested for visiting since both spots forbid parking and have posted no trespassing signs.  Suggestions?

I’m also interested in hiking up the hill that overlooks san pedro rock.  I’m wondering if there is an access trail from pacifica, say from Belfast Ave or Olimpian Way?  Anyone climbed up here?  I can get an OK shot if I pull off Hwy 1 when I head north toward Pacifica if I pull off the road at the last turnout before you start heading down the hill towards Linda Mar.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions are appreciated!!

Keith

Posted: 12 November 2007 04:17 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-09-10

Ahhh, I’m no help on the hiking trail question—but just wait until the Tunnel opens. Hopefully the road will close—and we’ll have amazing views of Pedro rock ad much more. Last year when Slide was out Barry and I were up there—the views are simply amazing from road level—better than from up above, I think, and better than almost anywhere else on the coast for miles and miles…

—Darin

Posted: 12 November 2007 05:39 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2004-06-23

I hiked the road along the slide very early on the morning of the road closure (very weird walking down the middle of the road, the whole area was deserted, this was before the CHP took interest). The views all along the slide over the edge of the barriers is incredible, of course you never see these when driving. I hiked up to the first bunker and climbed the hill, again fantastic views, especially back to Montara. I never got to the Northern bunker as I was a little nervous as to any Cal Trans traffic running me down on one of the blind bends as I was walking in the road. When the tunnel opens and we get full access it will be a very popular hike I’m sure. At the moment both are technically ‘out of bounds’. I can tell you the rock formations and hidden beaches are a photographers dream.

Kevin

Posted: 12 November 2007 06:28 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-09-23
Darin Boville - 13 November 2007 12:17 AM

but just wait until the Tunnel opens. Hopefully the road will close—and we’ll have amazing views of Pedro rock ad much more
—Darin

Yeah I’m actually concerned that they’ll block access to the bunkers as safety hazards when they finish the tunnel, so I’m actually planning to sneak up there while it’s all still intact and accessible.  I guess if all they do is give you a fine I’m OK with that.  Hopefully no CHP or HMB Police read this post.  If so, my name is really Ricardo Smith and I live in Pacifica.  ;)

Posted: 13 November 2007 08:01 PM   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

Been to all these places a number of times and took a few photos back in the days of the bypass controversy. The two bunkers on private land weren’t always posted.

You can walk out on Pedro Point on trails from several access points—one at a metal gate about halfway down the hill on the left as you head north to Linda Mar and another that gets up close to this place from an oversized bulldozed trail-to-be (“we had to destroy it in order to access it”) that goes uphill parallel to the highway starting from in back of the Ace Hardware store in Pacifica. (Pardon the jab, but the urbanheads in Pacifica, like those on our midcoast and in Half Moon Bay, partake of the destructive practice of building one-lane paved roads near the ocean and calling them the “Coastal Trail.”) From the gate on Highway 1, just keep your nose pointed uphill and toward the ocean for the first half mile, or so, and the continuing trail out to the point will be obvious once you have attained the top of the ridge. Excellent views north (including Pacifica’s Shelter Cove), west (down the spine of the ridge to Pedro Rock), and south (Devil’s Slide area, including traces of the old Ocean Shore Railroad bed across the steep slope). Once out of the trashy eucalyptus trees, there are some interesting surviving native plants on the point, including a couple of pretty grasses on what might be considered a hillside prairie on the north-facing slope.

And we have a set of WWII bunkers just off the old road on Montara Mountain, you know.

Carl May