What the coast needs now… more than EVER
Posted: 10 May 2008 03:50 PM
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2004-06-06

...what we could use right now, more than ever…

is more Papan for Assembly signs.

You know whom/what I’m talkin’ about… what’s her name… Joni, Jane, Gail… shoot… her first name seems to always elude me (sarcasm awry).

How many weeks until these visual zits get popped off the highway’s face? After today, I’ve personally seen two people remove these signs off their own property, ... one with a baseball bat the day they went up. I thought he should of kept his elbow down on the swings. Amusing nonetheless.

Gina, babes… how about you hitch up a Clear Channel billboard with your grille and the lettering abound at 50 ft, vs. us having to deal with the red/orange day glow hashmark’s every 50 yards from HMB to DC.

Also, how ironic that a paint-ball-like smattering of the signs for a staunch Democrat/Sierra Clubhead are littered on the highway, preceded by a “No LEFT Turn” sign. (see attached image).

While I’m at it… in this age of communication and intelligent marketing, why are we still subjected to this??? It frightens me that voters can be influenced by continual subconscious visual beat downs vs. possessing any iota of fiscal understanding of what impact a general obligation bond means to their taxation on voting on the measure thereof.

Posted: 13 May 2008 01:45 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-08-16

Agreed!  Particularly the point about in this age of electronic media ... we should abolish the use of streets and highways as polical propanganda venues.  Vexing me for the past year, although not seen so much coastside, as bayside, and more so the interior counties to the south, than any in the north, are the Ron Paul signs.

Litterbugs.

Here is some info on political signage from the California Dept. of Transportation.

Posted: 13 May 2008 02:08 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2004-06-06

Interesting a slew of Papan signs are already gone… especially on the Slide… someone took a bunch down day one.
No worries, for ol’ Gina… those oversized color glossy prints (think Arlo Guthrie) arrived in all our PO BOXs this week. A soon-to-be-career politician who is very well funded, I don’t weep for the removal of the signage.

Interesting with CalTrans a la “Section 5405.3 of the State Outdoor Advertising Act exempts the placing of Temporary Political Signs from normal outdoor advertising display requirements.”. Great, a slew of politicians making exemption amongst their ilk…. oy vey.

Guess the farm land (nee Beachwood) is preservation to the hilt… the road closer to the actual water isn’t deemed “scenic byway”. Interesting.

What is remarkable, is many of the signs are on private property that CalTrans has an easement to, but not as they prescribe via “Highway” includes roads, streets, boulevards, lanes, courts, places, commons, trails, ways or other rights-of-way or easements used for or laid out and intended for the
Outdoor Advertising Act 3 public passage of vehicles or of vehicles and persons.”

Last I checked the “easements” the signs are littered on are not in practice as a thoroughfare, but more for future right-of-way. In other words, on the side of the road, in a field, is not the easement they are speaking of here.

What if the sign post falls over, it rains, and a red-legged frog jumps in and lays some eggs, but it’s on private property with a public easement… what say ye armchair politicos?

Posted: 19 May 2008 05:04 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2004-06-23

You can be sure that these signs (from all candidates) will be left to rot by the highway when the elections are over. More trash for the coastal roadsides, oh the irony.