Beach cleanups are great…how about some politics?
Posted: 26 October 2006 09:37 AM
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2005-09-09

The League for Coastside Protection (“LCP”) took my advice and staged a beach cleanup.  Good for them and most importantly, good for beachgoers and the environment.  They sure got some love from Clay Lambert (make nice time for posting Don Bacon’s “screed?”)

It is easy for critics to dismiss the effort as simply “window dressing.”  The effort seemed very sincere, and the photo opps were probably in abundance.  Time will tell if the “First Annual” becomes the “Second Annual” or if the idea withers up and blows away.  There goes that “wither” word again.  Whether it is wither or whither or simply “vanish,” who knows where things are headed with the LCP.

Recall that the LCP is political organization, and as such, they give endorsements in political races.  Is anyone aware of their endorsement(s) for CUSD school board?  Are they going to give any?  If not, why not?

Note that the November 2002 election for CUSD school board seats was a “wipeout” for the LCP – 0 for 3

Oddly, the LCP did not seem to officially endorse Jonathan Lundell in November 2004 although the full endorsement list reads like an LCP “who’s who.”  Presumably, another shutout – 0 for 1

Are they looking to avoid a repeat?

No, I did not help the LCP in their PR, er, cleanup effort.  I prefer to do the cleaning myself.

Posted: 26 October 2006 11:01 AM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2006-06-03

I have a different question. When is CCF going to do a beach cleanup?

Posted: 26 October 2006 11:07 AM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2005-09-09

Beats me.  Probably not right before an election using the Pumpkin Festival as the “reason” the beaches needed cleaning.

Posted: 26 October 2006 12:04 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2004-10-15

Brian Ginna wrote:
“Note that the November 2002 election for CUSD school board seats was a “wipeout” for the LCP – 0 for 3”

Actually I would say it was a wipeout for the parents and children of the school district who have seen the quality of the local public education system continue to decline. Currently, we see elected CUSD Board members spending their time lobbying the County Supervisors in support of big development projects rather doing the job they were elected to do.

Will the public ever wake up and elect people who will try to reform the current failing system? I’m not holding my breath. And therefore you can expect that CUSD enrollment will continue to decline as more and more people opt out the local public education system.

By the way, does winning an election validate the views of the winners and invalidate the views of the losers, as you always seem to suggest? Would you say that about George Bush’s views?

Posted: 27 October 2006 09:56 AM   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-12-03

CCF didn’t do a beach clean up.  CCF, also a political organization, mailed a USGS pamphlet on earthquake preparedness.  Also a positive and welcome act.  Also coming just before an election.

As for me, I’d rather applaud efforts to improve life on the coast wherever they come from on the political spectrum than use those good deeds as a point of criticism.

Posted: 27 October 2006 01:07 PM   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2004-12-11
Michael La Guardia - 27 October 2006 04:56 PM

As for me, I’d rather applaud efforts to improve life on the coast wherever they come from on the political spectrum than use those good deeds as a point of criticism.

I agree, Michael!