Bikes Trail from Hatch to Poplar?
Posted: 26 October 2006 02:26 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-07-10

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had information on the bike/trail that is being built along highway 1 from Hatch Elementary to Poplar ave or so?  Couldn’t find any info on the HMB website.  Just wondering what it is going to be and how far South it is going to go?
Thanks for the help.

Posted: 26 October 2006 04:34 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2004-09-12

According to the City’s Draft Circulation Element and the City’s Highway #1 Conceptual Plan (as submitted and accepted by CCAG for the County Measure A Transportation Plan) this trail - referred to as the Parallel Trail - is to run from the Miramontes Point Road intersection at the south, within the Caltrans right-of-way, to the Mirada intersection just north of Ono’s.  From there it’s to be linked up with the Multimodal Trail which is to continue through the right-of-way up to the northern limit of Montara, which trail the MCC successfully included, thanks to Ric Lohman’s persistence, in the County Measure A Transportation Plan as well.

Mike

Posted: 26 October 2006 07:14 PM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-07-10

wow, that’s great!

I saw there may be some underground pedestrain crossing under highway 1 also.  Is there a place with a timeline on this project?  Thanks again.

Posted: 26 October 2006 10:44 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2004-09-12

1.)  There already is an undercrossing via the Pilarcitos Trail.  Are you inquiring about some other location?

2.)  Schedule? Now you’ve asked the really tough question.  When the Parallel Trail was first proposed in the late 90’s it wasn’t envisioned as an asphalt trail but as a decomposed granite trail so the early estimates were in the area of $700,000 for the whole length from Miramontes Point to Mirada..  But it’s now specified in this first section from Poplar to Kelly as asphalt which may be a condition of the $500,000 State grant, I’m not sure.  The problem is that the total cost of the construction work from Poplar to Kelly is over $1,000,000 which means that Half Moon Bay is picking up the $500,000 difference. Now, that doesn’t mean that HMB is going to need to spend $500,000 for every half mile of the trail. The Wavecrest Project was to have installed the section fronting its properties, the Terrace Stoplight/Widening was to have taken care of its section, and the Roosevelt Stoplight/Widening to cover its length.  Now, all of those projects are in some form of schedule snafu so predicting their completion is not really possible. 
But, not all is lost.
The fact that the Trail is also part of the County Measure A Conceptual Plan for Highway #1 means that it can be funded as a part of that exercise.  The Conceptual Plan was estimated at $17,000,000 a couple of years ago but I think it’s been boosted to something like $30,000,000 recently. So, that’s a whole different bucket to draw from.
But, here’s the problem.
County Measure A stretches funding over the next 27 years.  And we don’t know yet where HMB’s Conceptual Plan
will be placed into that timeline.
So, there you have it.  You asked a simple question but the best I can give you is “sometime in the next 27 years.”
Mike

‹‹ Measure L in Pacifica      Bikes on 92? ››