Joined  2004-07-15

hello

Eastenders has been off for two episodes now
?what gives?

Posted: 15 November 2006 09:56 AM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2005-08-03

That’s been happening on a few channels for the past few weeks. It says something about “no signal” right? It seems to only last a few days on one channel, then moves to another channel.

Posted: 15 November 2006 02:27 PM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2004-12-11

On my system, CH 10 KTEH has had “no signal” at least since Friday evening, 11/10. I often have poor reception for CH 5 and 13. CH 10 is one of my favorites.

Posted: 15 November 2006 08:09 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

A few months ago when Comcast’s repeater card for CH 3 KNTV blew out and it was basically unwatchable for days, after a lot of complaints they cut the signal completely and put up the “no signal” screen, which was a bald-faced lie.  Prior to them changing it to the “no signal” screen, I had solid and specific information that it was a local hardware problem.  I’m absolutely certain that “no signal” was done to reduce the complaint call volume.  Form your own conclusion about the current CH 10 situation.

Comcast has an antenna up on top of the local mountain.  The signal goes from there to a microwave link in Moss Beach, and from there via fiber to the head end in El Granada (which BTW Comcast thinks is in HMB.)  So there are only 2 explanations for “no signal”:  1) the station isn’t transmitting (not bloody likely), or 2) there is a failure in Comcast’s Coastside equipment.  There simply is no possible third choice.

Last Friday night my cable internet suddenly went totally dead.  I called comcast central support, and of course got the standard answer “there’s no problem in our system, we’ll schedule someone to come out to your house.”  After arguing with the guy that the problem was not at my house and couldn’t wait for regular business hours on Monday (and getting him to hang up on me!), I noticed that my TV picture was really bad on all channels including CH 6 and other non-broadcast channels.  So I called comcast cable support and told them this, and they said “a node went out and we’ve dispatched someone to replace it, which will take 2-4 hours.”  At the instant that the TV picture was restored, my cable internet started working.

Posted: 17 November 2006 06:49 AM   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2005-11-07

Leonard,

OTA 54 KTEH was fine at 0625. So eliminate “explanation 1”

“2) there is a failure in Comcast’s Coastside equipment. ” Possible

3) “There simply is no possible third choice. ” Wrong!

The local cable has been trying to cancel providing 54 KTEH for the past two owners. The usual procedure is to: BITCH VERY LOUDLY, frequently and by many - if so, miracousluy it will reapear.

Posted: 17 November 2006 07:25 AM   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

Ken, I didn’t know that (I don’t watch KTEH much).  However, if I claim that “maliciously turned off” is a “failure in Comcast’s Coastside equipment”, then I’m still right.  :-)  :-(

Posted: 17 November 2006 09:05 AM   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-11

Ken,
I am willing to try the “bitch very loudly” approach, but if you have ever tried to telephone Comcast, you know what it is like to “bitch” to an automated support system. I just now told it what I thought about it and sent an email as well. Who knows whether a human will ever hear or read the messages!

Posted: 18 November 2006 08:31 AM   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2005-11-07

Suzanne,

Try to also call the business office—if you are paying for something not received,  then it is a billing dispute.

Also complain to HMB City Council or Co BoS. They approved the last contract and if the new contract is similar to the last one, the respective government organization receives your franchise fee contribution for such purpose.

Also contact 54 KTEH, they have a great group that does answer email and may sugest an avenue with FCC.

Ken Johnson

Posted: 18 November 2006 04:50 PM   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-11

Ken,
Thanks for the tips. I will work on them. It would be good if other interested persons would do the same.

Posted: 22 November 2006 06:51 AM   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-11

For the past two days CH 10 KTEH is on the air again….

Was it something we said? Or did we just get lucky.

Anyway, I’m glad. :cheese:

Posted: 13 December 2006 09:31 PM   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

Hey, it’s mid-December and Channel 10 has again been blotto for days.

Carl May