Echo Hunter
Posted: 10 December 2006 08:44 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2004-06-17

About 3 years ago I heard about a gentleman at Pillar Point Harbor searching for a submarine sunk during WWII near the Farallon Islands. My information is very sketchy and probably highly inaccurate but here is what I heard. The gentleman above possibly in his late 70’s or early 80’s now, was in the Navy during WWII and stationed on the ship that sank the submarine near the Farallons. I’m not sure if the sub was Japanese, German, or possibly a scuttled US boat. Anyway, he had a boat called the Echo Hunter equipped with side scanning sonar and was attempting to find the sunken sub. When I first saw the Echo Hunter it was docked at Pillar Point and had some displays around it explaining the story behind this search.  I meet the gentleman later about 2 years ago and briefly spoke with him. He did indicate at that time that the sub may have been located by his equipment.  Unfortunately circumstances prevented me from having a detailed conversation at that time. I do believe the man was from Oregon and came down here during the summers and stayed in a trailer of some sort parked around Pillar Point. 
For the last 2 years, the Echo Hunter has been in dry dock in Princeton. It looks like it is not being cared for and is just abandoned.  I thought this was an interesting story and wonder if anybody else knows more about this?