“Michigan left turns” instead of traffic signals
Posted: 16 December 2006 01:40 PM
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

With the discussion of a traffic signal at Terrace, the discussion of difficulties at Kehoe, the plans to add a signal at Roosevelt, and the disastrous impact of the incorrectly-done signals at Ruisseau Francais (Frenchman’s Creek) and Coronado, we need to stop thinking that new traffic signals are the solution to the SR 1 problems.

Someone suggested a roundabout as an alternative to a signal at Terrace.  While I think that would be preferable to a signal and I have myself proposed roundabouts (traffic circles) instead of signals, I think it may not be practical at that location.  So instead, I propose that Michigan Left Turns be implemented.  Note that many of the disadvantages listed in that article won’t apply to SR1 since it’s a smaller highway than the ones described.  A Google search turns up a huge number of articles on Michigan left turns.

Many years ago, a friend with a house on SR 1, in describing the maneuver of turning right out of their driveway and going down to the next available left turn lane then making a U turn as “a Coastside left turn” was describing a Michigan left turn, so lots of people here should be familar with the concept.

The SR 1 right-of-way is 150’ wide.  We have the space to do it, although it means moving the lanes apart which won’t be cheap.  But signals aren’t cheap either.  But moving the lanes apart has other advantages, notably nearly eliminating head-ons.  Michigan left turns instead of traffic signals would improve safety without being a major detriment to through traffic as traffic signals are, and would maintain the rural character of the Coastside.

It’s time to think outside of our old tired “traffic signal” box.

Posted: 16 December 2006 02:28 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2004-09-12

I haven’t found “thinking outside the box” to be a particularly successful gambit when dealing with CALTRANS.  We are talking about a State Highway here, there is no such alternative in the DEIR, and the comment period ended yesterday. 
Unless you know how to quickly incorporate “Michigan Left Turns” into CALTRANS’ toolbox and reopen the DEIR alternatives analysis at this late stage it would seem that an externalized thinking process will need to await the next project that comes down the line.

Mike

Posted: 16 December 2006 04:40 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Been there done that bought the T shirt. Made many a right turn out of Kehoe & then a left into Grandview & than a right on 1 to go north. This is another hang on to you know what maneuver just to be able to go left, north out of my neighborhood.  Cant see how the traffic light is going to make that mess on 1 @ Terrace any worse. Coordinating the lights even now would help. I feel for the people on Terrace who dont want any homes built in their neighborhood. In 69 there werent any homes to west or east of me now there are. One of the neighbors got up a petition to stop the west end homes it would block his view, to no avail. He wound up moving. [ if yah dont like it move]. One of the streets got traffic calming bumps that moved the calmed traffic to other streets like mine so that they could uncalm themselves while speeding. If the builder will pay for improvements to 1 its foolish & throwing money away not to take advantage. Otherwise the hapless us taxpayers will pay for it, construction costs only go one way the longer we wait & thats UP.Sorry Terrace people feel for you but no one felt for us in my neighborhood. And met a lot of nice people who became friends after they moved in. NIMBY,S OF THE WORLD UNITE!