Art & Pumpkin Festival
Posted: 15 October 2006 06:22 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2005-10-02

Residents of HMB and environs - what do you think of this year’s Art & Pumpkin Festival?  Did you go? If not, why? What would make this more enticing to you as a resident of the area, or is “get out of town this weekend” it’s own tradition?

Posted: 15 October 2006 06:58 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-11-16

Barry and I always go on Day 1 and take the kids.  We do the costume contest and then the parade as it has the most local feel of any of the activities.  I wish they would open the Cunha Multipurpose Room for the contest as this year it was FREEZING. It was so cold on Saturday, the kids were turning blue - great if you’re going as Cookie Monster, but…. 

We like to visit the local booths and support the coastside non-profits.  We would stay longer, but the crowds are so bad that the environment has become difficult with a 4 year old in tow. OK - honestly, it’s difficult even when it’s just the two of us!  Because of the crowding, we usually just make it a say home weekend. 

I think this is a great topic Laura and would like to hear some ideas of how we can incorporate more “local” element.  Maybe even an “It’s OVER” celebration on Sunday night!

Posted: 15 October 2006 07:03 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-09-10

Way too crowded for us, as well. We usually go for a couple of hours but this year decided to stay home…the art doesn’t seem to be as good as some of the “over-the-hill” events…food is too hard to get to, etc.

—Darin

Posted: 15 October 2006 07:06 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-02

I am new to HMB, so that is just something to know. I am not someone who came to the festival before I moved here. I lived in the East Bay.  I always heard good things about it. I did come last year and don’t remember as much art. This year, the art seemed to be of lower quality than I would have liked, however, I’m not a festival attender, so I can’t say how it ranked with other local art fests such as Mtn. View, Palo Alto, etc.

Now that I live here, and because my profession involves emergency planning and helping my company deal with environmental impacts of its operations, it occurs to me that one thing the Festival Committee should consider is alternative transportation. This would probably involve parking on the other side of 92 with busses in. Some people I discussed this with mentioned that other large events like this - Gilroy Garlic - provide this approach. This might help with traffic.

Posted: 15 October 2006 07:15 PM   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-11-16

That’s a great point Laura.  I’m part of a community transportation collaborative that is about to launch a survey about local transportation needs.  I hadn’t considered the fact that the Pumpkin Festival might benefit from a formal “park and ride” system, but I’ll bring it up at our next meeting.  I can’t remember (but then again, I’m getting pretty old) but has anyone tried this in the past?  Before I moved here, I remember coming down the 92 for the festival and getting out to play frisbee on the side of the road.  Frisbee?  Boy - I AM getting old!

Posted: 15 October 2006 07:32 PM   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-02

Cherie -

I like your idea about a post-event party too. Make everyone feel like they are a part of the event!

‹‹ Blindsided      The Bar ››