Power Outage
Posted: 26 January 2007 03:10 PM
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Does anyone know why the power went out Tuesday 1/23 in the Casa Del Mar neighborhood? It was out for about 6 hours, from 7:30 pm Tuesday to 01:30 am Wednesday.  Ruined my Prison Break & 24 tv programs. Didn’t see a thing about it in HMB Review. Am sure if power was out in the Mr & Mrs rich golf course neighborhoods would have read something about it. Back in my younger day,s would have grabbed my beautiful wife to bed & made a baby am to old & decrepit now but still went to bed only to sleep & snore away!

Posted: 27 January 2007 04:38 AM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

Since when is a PG&E power outage news?  I suppose they could have a regular feature for PG&E outages, just like there’s a regular feature for the weather or the police blotter listing DUIs on SR 1.

Posted: 27 January 2007 11:22 AM   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

It is news when it effects me & my family & neighbors! Just want to know what went on with the outage if that twinks you to bad so sad. Why power went out seems to always be in the news.

Posted: 27 January 2007 02:53 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

I guess my sarcasm just doesn’t work in print.  My attempted point is that we have so many never-explained power outages here in PG&E land that any particular outage isn’t too newsworthy.  (“Yeah, the power is out again.”)  What I think does rate a serious story is why we are plagued with a third-world power system here.  I suspect that, living in Half Moon Bay with paved streets and only a fraction of the trees we have in the unincorporated area, that your power is much more reliable than ours.  Since outages are much rarer for you, what’s routine here seems newsworthy to you.  I do respect your irritation over the outage.  I was not trying to downplay your irritation, I was just being snide about the whole unexcusable situation.  If the Review printed something about every power outage on the Coastside there wouldn’t be much room for anything else.

What I would like to see is a CPUC requirement that PG&E post on their web site an explanation of every power outage—location, cause, duration.

Posted: 28 January 2007 05:37 PM   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2004-11-04

Here in MB we probably average about 5-7 outages each winter, varying from less than an hour to several hours each.  I guess it goes with having power lines above ground and lots of old trees.

Leonard, your sarcasm came through as intended here.  I was thinking the same thing—“This is news??”

No disrespect intended to you, Sam.  I guess we’ve just gotten used to it here.  We’ve got the flashlights, candles, oil lamps, and propane stove ready at a moments notice, so it’s usually no big deal.  Part of the “quaintness” of living out here on the coast…

—Dan

Posted: 30 January 2007 04:42 PM   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-05-27

We live in Pillar Ridge park, and were forewarned by P.G. & E via mail two weeks prior, that our power was going to be out last Thursday, between 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., so were prepared.  As we were leaving for work that day, there were three P.G. & E cherry-pickers working on the lines. I am not sure why everyone didn’t receive the notice in the mail, however.