New Leaf Market & Whole Foods
Posted: 04 April 2007 05:21 PM
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Heard in town today that New Leaf Market is NOT coming to old Albertsons site in the beat up shopping strip. Reason is they feel not enough people in HMB willing to spend their money on high price organic food.
Also that a Whole Foods market is coming to “Hillsdale West” @ Princton Harbor. Any truth to this or is this just another HMB rumor mill item?

Posted: 08 April 2007 04:07 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-06-30
Sam Carrieri - 05 April 2007 12:21 AM

Heard in town today that New Leaf Market is NOT coming to old Albertsons site in the beat up shopping strip. Reason is they feel not enough people in HMB willing to spend their money on high price organic food.
Also that a Whole Foods market is coming to “Hillsdale West” @ Princton Harbor. Any truth to this or is this just another HMB rumor mill item?

Well, gossip is gossip, isn’t it! If New Leaf and Trader Joe’s don’t think there is demand for their products here, why would Whole Foods come to Princeton?

Perhaps there is a grain of truth to at least part of what you heard but (typical of the kid’s game of telephone) by the time it reached Town Hall the story had attained epic proportions…

Posted: 08 April 2007 04:10 PM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2004-11-25

So other than being dismissive, can you add any actual concrete substance to the question being posed here?

Posted: 08 April 2007 04:53 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Am just passing on what i was told. After 4 years in Marines & 37 years of airlines cant tell the truth from a rumor anymore as thats all i heard in Marines & airlines. “A rumor a day keeps the doctor away”.
Seriously maybe if true, Whole Foods feels there is support for a “normal” market vs a organic foods market after all Alpha Beta then Albertsons must have felt so at one time. Would like to see anything but another Safeway.  Dont shoot me am only the rumor monger messenger looking for concrete substance.

Posted: 08 April 2007 05:36 PM   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-09-10

Hello all,

I’ve been in contact with New Leaf since we first heard they might come to HMB. I checked with them on the current status of a HMB store and they say that “nothing is final yet, either way.” Looks like they are still negotiating—my contact did mention that the process is taking a long time…don’t know any more…

—Darin

Posted: 09 April 2007 12:05 PM   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

I see that the large Rite Aid store in the same strip mall is advertised for sale. It could be that some businesses are shy about committing to a shopping center where so much is in flux.

Carl May

Posted: 09 April 2007 05:27 PM   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-06-30
Sam Carrieri - 08 April 2007 11:53 PM

Dont shoot me am only the rumor monger messenger looking for concrete substance.

Sam, I think Steve may have meant me when he said:

So other than being dismissive, can you add any actual concrete substance to the question being posed here?

Sam was certainly not being dismissive and perhaps I sounded thus, (but didn’t intend to be). As far as addinng actual concrete substance to the question, erm…is that a requirement of Town Hall now?

To paraphrase Sam, “A rumor a day keeps…” hmm, I think I’ll leave it at that.

Posted: 10 April 2007 11:05 AM   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2004-05-28

I just talked with a representative of Food Partners in New Jersey. They are the group negotiating for a new tenant for the closed HMB Albertson’s. He would not say with whom they are negotiating and when the negotiations will be complete. But he did indicate that negotiations were still on-going.

John Lynch

Posted: 28 April 2007 06:11 PM   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-04-27
Sam Carrieri - 05 April 2007 12:21 AM

Hillsdale West?  Out of curiousity where did you hear that name?

Victoria

Posted: 04 May 2007 07:58 AM   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-04-10

New Leaf is still working through negotiations - it has been a long process. This is what they have indicated to me directly via personal email as of yesterday 5/3/07. I belong to a few interest groups all advocating thier presence here.

We just have to be patient.

I wonder who will open first - the grocery chain or grease-pit-artery-clogging chicken joint?

-GraceAnn

Posted: 05 August 2007 10:11 AM   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-04-10

Hello,

Just an update…I received an email this morning from my contact at New Leaf and it is official…they will be in HMB Spring of 2008.

Yippee! I’ll go eat some pesticide-loaded Safeway strawberries just to celebrate!

-GraceAnn

Posted: 05 August 2007 11:17 AM   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-05-03

Great News!

Read all about it here:

http://www.hmbreview.com/articles/2007/08/03/news/breaking_news/story4.txt

Mary

Posted: 06 August 2007 04:42 PM   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2005-05-25

Thanks so much for this update! It’s great news!

I refuse to shop at Safeway. I currently shop at Cunha’s and Whole Foods, with the very occasional foray to Albertson’s when I’m up that way. I’ll gladly give my Whole Foods business to New Leaf.

‹‹ The good old days      Montara restaurants ››