Low Flying Jet Over El Granada at 6:30 p.m., Sunday Aug 12?
Posted: 12 August 2007 06:47 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2005-03-28

I just witnessed a black - looked like an older military jet flying low and headed south west directly over El Granada - our house is off of Santiago. Does anyone know why we have military jets flying over our Coastal Communities all of a sudden?

To make complaints re: noise/other call 573-2666.

Barb Mauz

Posted: 12 August 2007 07:32 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-03-28

Correction - Low Flying Jet was headed South EAST - this event was very upsetting - I am not the only person who has witnessed this in the last couple of weeks and I think that we need to find out what this is all about.

Barb Mauz

Posted: 12 August 2007 09:45 PM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2006-06-03

I heard a jet, roughly overhead, at around 9:00pm as I was driving between Moss Beach and El Granada.

Posted: 12 August 2007 10:13 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-17

Yes, I heard it too and wondered what was going on.  It was closer to 6:30 than 9:00 although I am not sure of the exact time.  I too would love to know what was going on.  Was it a military plane or someone who bought one and wanted to get a closer look into our community?

Posted: 13 August 2007 10:23 AM   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2005-06-06

We heard the 9:00 one; we went outside to look and my husband ID’d the plane (can’t remember what type).

Posted: 13 August 2007 12:40 PM   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

I don’t remember what times, but at least twice last night (not close together) I heard a jet that sounded disconcertingly low.  The first time I thought “off course?”  The second time I wondered if there was some odd condition and SFO air traffic control was rerouting commercial jets, although I’ve never heard commercial jets from SFO flying anywhere near that low.

My concern is safety issues from flying low.  One would assume that even at very low altitudes jets go much faster than small private planes, and since Half Moon Bay Airport, like most municipal airports, is “uncontrolled”, it’s on visual flight rules—“see and be seen”.  A small private plane going 90-120 mph might not expect to encounter a jet going 200-300 mph.

Posted: 13 August 2007 03:50 PM   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-06-30

The plane you heard was a military jet.. most likely an F/A-18. They do make routine flights up and down our coastline although usually not that low. And I’m sure this wasn’t someone who bought a fighter jet and was hoping to get a closer look into our community. I did get a good laugh out of that though.

Posted: 13 August 2007 04:04 PM   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-03-17

Well, I didn’t mean they bought a military jet but more of have a jet and wanted to get a closer look.  (i.e. that is where I live, etc).

I can see why it provided you a good laugh.

Posted: 13 August 2007 07:16 PM   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-06-30

I should have clarified.. I live here too. I was outside and that jet flew right over my house. The sound was unmistakable. F-18. Amazingly my baby slept right through it!

Posted: 13 August 2007 10:27 PM   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-04-10

I heard a loud noise and went outside and saw it going up. The angle was intense - it looked like it was going straight up!

When I was having breakfast at Three Zero that day, I did see a plane with NAVY on it. Could that be it? It was not too big and I certainly wouldn’t calssify it as a jet.

-GraceAnn

Posted: 13 August 2007 11:05 PM   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

“Jet” refers to the type of propulsion, not the size of the plane.  Fighter jets can be quite small.  Did the Navy plane you saw have propellers?  If not, it was a jet, regardless of the size.  I seriously doubt that the U.S. military still flies any propeller planes except historic ones at shows.

I once saw a military jet take off from LAX right over my head.  It was much louder than the commercial jets, and the angle of ascent was also rather steep.  Quite attention-grabbing.

Posted: 14 August 2007 08:30 AM   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-05-03

I was just reading the Chronicle this morning and…....the Blue Angels are in town.
Connection?

Mary

Posted: 16 August 2007 01:17 PM   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2004-11-10

I was kayaking in the harbor at the time the jet first arrived. It was clearly a high-gloss black corporate jet, and in no way resembled an F/A-18. Unless there was also a military jet that landed or did a fly-over that afternoon/evening that I did’t see, the jet I saw was in the medium to super medium Citation or Gulfstream size.

By my recollection, it arrived late afternoon and left in the early evening, just enough time for someone to have dinner at the Ritz. I was also outside at the harbor when it left.

Posted: 17 August 2007 05:42 AM   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-05-27

Last week, I was awakened much earlier than 6:30 in the morning by a loud jet, sounded as if it was quite low overhead - our walls shook a bit.  We have had a few jet fly-overs since, at various hours, but that early in the morning especially (not even daylight out) was particularly startling.  I guess that is just one consequence of living next to an airport.

Posted: 17 August 2007 12:05 PM   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-03-28

FYI, the County has been refusing to update to current status the Air/Safety Standards and are operating the Half Moon Bay under 1974 Air/Safety Standards - there are far too many people under the current Air Traffic Patterns now. The County is also delaying the Half Moon Bay Airport’s Master Plan Update - this is because County wants to shove as much residential/other development as they can before they do that, as the Air Saftey Standards would be much more restrictive in order to protect human life.

In the meantime, it is well known that Special Interest Groups have plans to expand runway lengths at the Half Moon Bay Airport and other improvements with an intent to provide additional Air Traffic such as Commuter Jets. It is more than interesting that more and more Coastside residents are reporting Commuter Jets flying in and out of the Half Moon Bay Airport.

To make complaints regarding Noise or Safety concerns call 573-2666.

Barb Mauz

Posted: 19 August 2007 12:40 PM   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-05-27

Someone on HMB Review.com found our link here, and started a whole thread on that site, based on this discussion:

http://talkabout.hmbreview.com/topic.php?t=626&c=8

Posted: 19 August 2007 01:15 PM   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-03-28

The latest posts on the Review’s “Talk About” are very much off the topic.

I suggest that a full-fledged article regarding this “Town Hall” topic be posted on Coastsider.com by someone who is familiar with County’s refusal to update their out-dated 1979 Air Safety Standards for the Half Moon Bay Airport, plans included in the Half Moon Bay Airport Master Plan Update to make “improvements” to facilitate greater use by Commuter Jets/other—- which would take place AFTER County/Special Interest Group’s plans to shove massive amounts of additional residential/other development under the existing UNSAFE Air/Safety Traffic Patterns in Princeton, Moss Beach & North El Granada areas which also includes the cancerous wart (Beach House Condo/Hotel) on the finger of land in Half Moon Bay’s jurisdiction.

These plans are a part of the County’s exploitive, fraudulent “LCP Update” for the Mid-Coast scheduled to be heard at a Public Hearing in December at the Coastal Commission in San Francisco.

The Tax-Paying Homeowner/Residents of the Mid-Coast and Half Moon Bay have the right to know what is being planned and is included within County’s so-called “LCP Update” for the Mid-Coast.

Barb Mauz

‹‹ Aggressive Drivers?      Skateboarders ››