HMB Main Street Repairs
Posted: 27 September 2007 11:24 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-09-03

Does anyone have any information on just what is going on and how much longer it will be going on regarding the street repairs on Main St between 92 and Highway 1?
I’m sure its a very complex job with a lot of coordination of utility lines and blah de blah, , but hasn’t it been like more than a year now? It is just a basic resurface with curbs & sidewalks job - municipalities do them all the time. And why is there hardly ever anyone out there doing any work most of the time, except for the one guy who’s job seems to be to lean on the traffic cones?

The lack of a left turn lane on the upper half effectively gridlocks the street worse than it ever was in the afternoon, even before the inane high school traffic returned. Personally, I try to avoid having to go to any of the businesses there lately. When I do, I park in the shopping center across the street and stroll through the stalled traffic instead.

So, anyone know what’s up? A search of the HMBR site checked over 20,000 documents and found nothing matching “Main Street Repair.”

chuck

Posted: 03 October 2007 09:57 AM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2005-05-25

Good question, Chuck. I can’t help but notice that the repairs/redo on Sand Hill Road (resurfacing, some sewers dug up, etc.) progressed much more quickly… I imagine that has something to do with the fact that there were workers on the job every day, busily working to get the inconvenience over and done with. Meanwhile, this piddly little stretch of Main Street is taking about as long as the Devil’s Slide tunnel. Anyone know why?

Posted: 05 October 2007 01:46 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

i Have only cynical thoughts regarding “Anyone know why?”, so I won’t bother.

I don’t drive SR 92 much these days, and I was a bit surprised yesterday to see what appeared to be the sudden paving of the widened part.  I do have to laugh though—they paved around the old utility poles which haven’t been removed yet.  I’d expect any reasonable person to figure that the paving should have waited until the poles were removed.  Watching the HMB City Council meeting video, I heard the director of public works trumpeting how they got the paving done in time for Pumpkin Festival so that visitors won’t have a rough time entering the businesses.  Of course, this means that it’ll be more work to remove the poles and repave those holes, and then the brand-new road will already be patched before it’s even been opened.  Sigh.

Posted: 05 October 2007 01:49 PM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2006-06-03

I noticed the same thing yesterday. The effect is comical, to say the least.

Posted: 13 October 2007 12:58 PM   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2005-07-28

The owners of Blue and White Cleaners (who face the part of Main St. that is under repair) showed me a letter/flyer from the construction company which says they were projected to finish the work by Aug. 28.  Oh, well…......

Posted: 18 October 2007 11:05 AM   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

The road construction reminds me of the road repairs in Manhattan [N.Y.C.] Here comes the electric company tearing up the street then patching it, whoops a week later here comes the gas company tearing up the same part of street & then patching it. Oh No, a week gone buy here comes the sewer people tearing street up yet again. A month later the patching has sunk creating yet another pothole. We cant have all the utilities talking to each other its against the law!