Does the Workers Union for Safeway exploit our children? I say YES!!
Posted: 07 March 2007 09:42 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-07-13

This is just about one of the Half Moon Bay High school students that work at Safeway in HMB. This has happened to many others, but nothing has ever been said.
A young 17 year old student started working at Safeway about 5 months ago at minimum wage. All employees are forced to join the Union or they don’t work.
The maximum hours allowed is 28 hours a week and no more than 4 hours on a school night, a work permit is required by the school.
This child went to work Tuesday evening to have the Union rep. meet him with a notice that he owes them $608.33 in dues/initiation fees and that he has to deliver the 25 percent of the money personally in one of their offices by Monday which is actually 4 working days time. The letter given to him also stated if he does not do this, that notice has been given to Safeway to terminate his employment.
I find this so bizarre and unacceptable since a part time worker has absolutely no benefits or that the income these students get do not justify the same charges as a full time employee. So now is this student supposed to work the next 3-4 months for almost nothing?
Also when they start working at Safeway they have to purchase black slacks, white shirt and a tie. Safeway supplies the apron.
This is one of the reasons that Safeway has such a high rate of Courtesy Clerks!
I honestly wonder if this is legal because these children have no benefits at all from the Workers Union and all these kids are paid minimum wages with a cap on how many hours they can work.
I would like to hear some feedback on this, because so many good Students have had to leave Safeway because of this.
The Workers Union involved is:
United Food & Commercial Workers Union Local 101
208 Miller Ave. PO Box 747
South San Francisco, Ca. 94080
Virginia Ingelfinger- Union Rep.
Main Office: (650) 871-5730
Direct (650) 871-3539