Has anyone noticed the Montara Bistro?
Posted: 20 March 2007 03:21 PM
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2004-06-23

Montara has a new restaurant, the Montara Bistro, and guess what? It’s pretty good! Good food choice, spotless kitchen, nice views, fair prices and best of all owners that seem to be genuinely interested and willing to act on local feedback.

So why no mention of this new venture anywhere on Coastsider or any local mailing lists? I find this very strange, as the venture seems to be constantly busy and thriving.

I wasn’t offered free sandwiches or soup to post this! I’m just genuinely baffled as to the radio silence.

Posted: 20 March 2007 05:28 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-09-10

No radio silence—I talked to the owner the first day they had a sign up about doing a video or something—he’s for it, I’m for it. Just a matter of resources! It’s on my “to do” list…

—Darin

Posted: 20 March 2007 05:45 PM   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

That’s great Darin, I look forward to it. You understand where I was coming from though, something like a major new restaurant normally warrants at least a couple of lines somewhere in the media. I just found it strange that no locals have even mentioned it in any posts.

By the way, great job on the Kanoff meeting video, I plan to watch it tonight in all it’s painful glory with my wife.

Cheers

Kevin

Posted: 21 March 2007 09:48 AM   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Darin, Kevin you guy’s are guilty too. Neither mentions WHERE this Montara Bistro is. Havent heard about it or seen it in our local paper maybe todays HMB edition will mention it. Love to try new places but have to know where they are. Address plz.

Posted: 21 March 2007 10:47 AM   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

Sam, you are right. It’s um… in Montara, right next to Cafe Lucca.

Posted: 21 March 2007 11:11 AM   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-04-03

We’ve been there a few times now.  The food is great, the overall service is pretty good, too.  They’re working out some kinks, but I highly recommend it.  They’re just doing lunch now, and will slowly introduce evening hours in the future.  Mark seems like an owner eager to get feedback and improve things if at all possible.

mike

Posted: 21 March 2007 12:45 PM   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-10

Hey Sam,

Like Kevin said, right next to Lucca on Highway 1. Look for the big sign :)

Looks like they are putting together a sizable outdoor area—very cool. Maybe we are heading toward a critical mass of businesses here in Montara?

They have food to-go, too, I believe. Hoping to stop by today…now, in fact…

—Darin

Posted: 21 March 2007 01:20 PM   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

The business profile is rising for sure. I know for certain the old Outrigger will be opening it’s doors again as a restaurant in the next six months, as I spoke with the owners recently, apparently there will be two different sections to the building.

Posted: 21 March 2007 11:59 PM   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-10
Kevin Stokes - 21 March 2007 08:20 PM

The business profile is rising for sure. I know for certain the old Outrigger will be opening it’s doors again as a restaurant in the next six months, as I spoke with the owners recently, apparently there will be two different sections to the building.

Kevin,

Soon to open? Tell us more, if you can!

—Darin

Posted: 22 March 2007 01:38 PM   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

Darin,

I have just come off the phone with a nice sounding lady called Mahsa who is either affiliated with or closely involved with the Outrigger owners. She told me that at the moment they do not have a timeline for opening as several permits are still waiting approval by the County.

She did tell me that the restaurant will be built on two levels, upstairs will be more A La Carte and downstairs would be more casual dining. The liquor license remains. The cooking theme will more than likely be home spun California cuisine. I was very pleased to hear that the owners are still very interested in hearing feedback from the local people before opening, recognizing that local trade can very much play a large part in the success or failure of any venture. The name was not yet decided on but would likely remain as the Outrigger.

That’s all the infomation I could gather at this point, I gave her my name and number and asked if she would call me when the owners were ready to meet with a local group to swop ideas.

Kevin

Posted: 22 March 2007 10:55 PM   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-04-10

I will surely try this new place as I am a frequent diner at local establishments.

AND, I will also ask…WHAT IS GOING ON WITH LOCAL RESTAURANTS? I have been having horrible experiences lately…

Since I gave Sam’s Chowder house a few more tries, it has been okay. Then, I take some friends there the other evening and it was AGAIN BACK TO HORRIBLE! Service, AWFUL. They brought me ANOTHER cracked water glass and indicated that this happens often. WELL LOOK AT THE GLASS - DUMMIES! FOOD - I had to pick lobster shells out of every bite of my salad, speaking of which, WHERE WAS THE DRESSING? Of course our entrees were there before the soup. To top all of this off, for dessert, we got one hard scoop (Can you repeat SOFT SERVE?) of ice cream in a HOLLOWED-OUT dessert dish! Even my 7 year old was appalled. Since it took 45 minutes for them to scoop this ONE scoop in the big dish, I was out of energy (for my normal mode of complaining) and so was my 7-year old who had his head on the table sleeping. (Forgot to add in the 30 minutes it took to get a dessert menu.)

I was totally embarrassed since I had out of town guests and we were raving at how good it was. Oh, and they took the lobster roll off the dinner menu. Now I can say the only thing good and predictable to eat at Sam’s is the kid’s meal HOT DOG.

Anyway, I’d be delighted to try something new.

I do know that many restaurants do “test the waters” before advertising. Is there a web site or a menu online anywhere?

Sincerely,
GraceAnn

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:27 PM   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

Mmmm… yes I have heard people refer to it as Sam’s ‘Chunder’ House.

Personally speaking my wife and I have been there on three separate occasions, the most recent visit we vowed would be our last. Poor service, sub-standard food and value being our major grievances with the place (pretty major eh!?). It’s a shame, from an interior design perspective I think they did a great job. Believe me we so wanted them to be a place we would frequent, we always welcome choice when it comes to places to eat on the coast.

Still, I’m sure the ‘one visit’ tourists will keep them alive for years to come as everyone has different standards when it comes to what they like or look for in the places they choose to eat. Maybe ours are too high.

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:47 PM   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-10

Just got back from a visit to Montara Bistro with my eight-year-old.

Food was very good—they were a bit overwhelmed with a 1:30 rush (they close at 2:00).

We tried the ribs with BBQ sauce and the flank steak sandwich. Sandwich was good, ribs were great. Other tables were raving about the ribs, too.

—Darin

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:59 PM   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-06-23

It seems that limited seating may be a problem, the place is pretty tiny. Good news is Summer is coming and I believe they will have outdoor seating on their patio soon!

Posted: 24 March 2007 11:18 AM   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-06-06

Its a shame about Sam’s Chowder House wife & I ate there & didnt have any problems. Tried to get reservations on a Saturday a week ago but they were all fillled up with a 50 person party. Wanted to bring out of town people this weekend but not now. Maybe just try the bar as love raw clams & oysters. Brings me back to my wasted youth in Manhatan’s Little Italy corner of Mott & Hester St. where you could get a dozen clams on the half shell for a pittance. And scungile?  [conch] in ragu in a cardboard take out box.

Posted: 30 March 2007 06:21 PM   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-05-27

We went to Sam’s Chowder House a week after they opened.  We had friends from out-of-town with us, who were with were not happy with the service, especially since the waitress kept getting the orders wrong, and when we got the bill, they were overcharged by about $50.00.  Quite a fuss ensued, which we stayed out of and realizing that the help was new, and it takes awhile to get used to a new system (the waitresses had these electronic devices they had to carry around, to punch in the orders).  The food was good. However, I didn’t like the seating, with tables too exposed in a bright area, close together - not my style.

I saw the Montara Bistro sign when it first opened up…I had mis-read its logo: “Experience your food, don’t just eat it”, as: “Experience your food - just don’t eat it.”  I think that it is pointless to play with your food and not eat it - unless you are on a strict diet.

Posted: 28 April 2007 11:02 AM   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-04-27

Hi All,

Im wondering what kind of a menu they have and the price range?
We’de like to go, but I didnt find anything online about it.

Thanks!
Victoria

Posted: 19 September 2007 05:16 PM   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-06-15

I’ve heard good things about Montara Bistro, and plan to go there to investigate very soon.  In the meantime, here’s some info about them:

It looks like a little green house on hwy 1 in Montara.  Phone:  728-2433.
Posted hours are Wednesday-Sunday, 11am-3pm;  Tuesday-Saturday 6pm-9pm. 

I just called to check the hours, hoping to get dinner on Friday at 4:30.  Mark (the owner) told me that if they can handle it (they’re there, and not in the midst of a project that makes it incredibly difficult), they’ll take care of you any time.  If I call ahead and tell them for sure we want to eat at 4:30, they’ll make sure they can serve us.

—Laura

Posted: 21 September 2007 09:08 AM   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-11-16

I have to say the Montara Bistro is the BEST addition to the mid-coast in a long time.  I’ve now eaten there 6 or 7 times and every experience has been exceptional.  In my prior job I traveled extensively and ate just about everywhere you can eat, and the Bistro ranks right up there with the best. Specifically - the ribs are drop off the bone tender and delicious.  Both salads I’ve tried have a nice range of ingredients and more than enough to leave you satisfied.  My favorite - the vegetarian sandwich. Now I have to say, I’m not a sandwich person.  Rarely do they have enough flavor for me.  My expectation for a veggie sandwich was so low - I didn’t order it - my husband did.  Naturally I stole a bite of his and the rest was history. I ended up trading lunches with Barry and eating his entire lunch, - a testimate to how good it is - both the lunch and my husband!  Seriously, the sandwich is made on the best home made, rustic olive loaf I’ve ever had, spread with a tomato tapanade spread topped with layers of squash and roasted veggies.  Go there - get one, and if you don’t like it stop by my place and I’ll buy the remnants off of you.  Yes - it’s that good.  Tell the owner Mark that Cheri from Coastsider sent you.  He’s passionate about food and it shows.  The staff is friendly and the view can’t be beat.

Phone: (650) 728-2433
Hours: Wedn- Sat: 11 am - 3 pm, 6 pm - 9 pm; Sunday 11 am - 3 pm. For “to go” only: Wedn - Sat 11 am - 8 pm, Sun 11 am - 3 pm