Injured Animals
Posted: 05 June 2008 01:34 PM
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-11-16

Yesterday on my way to get my carpool kids from school, an injured or very ill raccoon was dragging itself v-e-r-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly across highway 1 at El Granada.  The Southbound cars had stopped and a concerned lady was in the roadway, trying to help the raccoon get across uninjured.  The Northbound traffic had no idea what was going on, and fortunately both raccoon and good samaritan made it across unharmed.  A women behind me suggested that we try to catch it to keep this from happening again.  I just want to remind everyone that raccoons, as sweet and adorable as they look, can easily strike out at you, especially when hurt or ill.  I called animal control the report this and found that injured animals are handled by the Peninsula Humane Society.  Once I got the right division, they were very helpful and were on the scene before I made the return trip home.  If you need to report an injured animal, call PHS at 650.340.7022 and press 5 to get the correct division.

For you Monty Python/Holy Grail fans out there, as I watched the Raccoon limp across the street, nice ladies in pursuit, all I could think of was that most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered Rodent…..... the Vorpal Rabbit.  Run away, Run away! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Posted: 05 June 2008 04:24 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2006-08-16

hahaha, very good.  Thank you for the mid-day break!

Posted: 06 June 2008 11:04 AM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2004-06-17

Good story, hope the raccoon will recover.
Also, if you see a live stranded or distressed marine mammal call The Marine Mammal Center at 415-289-7325.
For all live injured aquatic birds and seabirds call International Bird Rescue at 707-207-0380.

Posted: 07 June 2008 09:01 AM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2006-06-03

Thanks Jack - that’s great information.  Living on the coast in the midst of all this wonderful nature carries some unique challenges. Trust me, there is nothing more frustrating that finding an injured animal and tying to figure out who to call for help.  In the midst of the West Nile Virus we awoke to find a dead Raven in our yard -  believe me, we couldn’t find *that* number fast enough!