Bicycle Riding on Sidewalks
Posted: 25 September 2006 05:12 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2004-12-11

I was almost run down by a bicyclist as I walked on Stone Pine Rd above the HMB Post Office just now. The rider approached from behind without a word; my dog alerted me and, off balance, I pulled both of us into the landscaping to let the rider pass. He thanked me. I said that riding bikes on the sidewalk was against the law. He said it wasn’t.

Question: Is it? I checked the DMV website and couldn’t find it.

I often encounter bicyclists riding on the Main Street’s sidewalks when there are not too many pedestrians (and not much vehicular traffic either). I think this is dangerous for everyone concerned, especially seniors and people with small children in tow. On mixed use trails, most riders courteously say something like “passing on the left,” and pedestrians can move aside safely.  But I don’t think sidewalks are considered mixed use.

Posted: 26 September 2006 03:44 AM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

Searching the vehicle code at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html (the worst search engine on the net)—

21100.  Local authorities may adopt rules and regulations by ordinance or resolution regarding the following matters:
[...]
  (h) Operation of bicycles [...] on the public sidewalks.

Like you, I had thought that riding bicycles on the sidewalk was always illegal.  Apparently not…  You’ll need to find out whether HMB has regulated this.  If they haven’t, you could approach the City Council and request that they consider this.  21100 is broadly written.  You could ask HMB to adopt a regulation stating that pedestrians always have the right of way on sidewalks and that bicycle use on sidewalks is not allowed when it endangers pedestrians.  I’d include something like “if a pedestrian has to step or jump aside for a bicycle, then the bicycle is not being lawfully operated on the sidewalk.”

In the unincorporated Midcoast, this isn’t an issue, since for the most part, by law, we have no sidewalks.

Oh, I just found this:
21356.5.  Local authorities may place signs, mirrors, or other visual or audible devices at exits from alleys that are under their jurisdiction to warn drivers to watch for pedestrians and bicyclists on the sidewalk prior to exiting the alley.

The implication being that there is no general prohibition of bicycles on sidewalks.

Posted: 26 September 2006 08:07 AM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-17

I personally don’t think there should be a law forbidding riding on the sidewalk - but you are right, bikers should be polite!  I can’t believe someone would be so rude as to practically run you over when they are obviously in an area where people walk. 

But, I would argue, it is much safer for a (polite) biker to be on a sidewalk than on a city street.  As someone that has witnessed a kid on a bike get hit by a car and die (a hit and run mind you), I would rather take my chances as a pedestrian than risk someones life by having them get hit by a car. 

I like this wording from Leonard, and it makes sense :

“if a pedestrian has to step or jump aside for a bicycle, then the bicycle is not being lawfully operated on the sidewalk.”

Then again, if people will just be civil and think of other people, this would be a non-issue.  I know when I use to ride my bike on the sidewalk, I would always warn people I am coming or go around them (instead of them getting out of my way).

Posted: 26 September 2006 03:37 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2004-12-11

Thank you, Leonard and Stephanie for the research and suggestions. I will take it up with the City in the future.

As a former avid cyclist on South Bay multi-use trails, I do appreciate the advantages of riding away from cars, especially on sidewalks along busy streets. Many sidewalks in town (HMB) are so narrow, two pedestrians can’t walk past each other without one or both stepping aside. But I do like Leonard’s idea.

Curiously, many if not all the sidewalks at Main Street intersections have a faded icon of “no bicycles” painted where the curbs were lowered to permit wheelchair (and baby stroller) access. Seems to indicate that HMB must have some kind of regulation.

Posted: 16 October 2006 10:23 PM   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2004-10-22

Three or four local teenage punks were carelessly riding the sidewalks and street of Main Street in HMB on Sunday evening, oblivious to the vendors trying to take down and pack up their displays after the Pumpkin Festival. Don’t know if they did any damage, but they well could have.

Which bring to mind that no matter what the facility, some bicycle riders, like some drivers, will always operate outside the rules and standards of common courtesy.

We need to re-engineer the coastside to encourage non-vehicular transportation. It won’t be easy, because the midcoast has been developed around the requirements of auto transportation and nothing else.

CarlMay