Vote to Renovate Pigeon Point Lighthouse
Posted: 21 September 2006 12:44 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-05-09

I have just learned of an online election to choose a Bay Area historic site that will receive funding for renovations. Our very own Pigeon Point Lighthouse is one of 25 historic sites in the running. Go to:

<http://www.partnersinpreservation.com/bayarea>

A short registration process allows you to VOTE for one of these 25 sites in the Bay Area. You can vote once EVERY DAY through the end of OCTOBER. This just started on Monday so Coastside votes can make a difference.

The lighthouse is now running 4rd in a very tight race so our votes are critical.
This is one instance when the saying “Vote early, vote often” has definite merit.

Thanks Everyone!!

Posted: 22 September 2006 04:19 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-03-05

Thank you for this information April. I am happy to have voted for the lighthouse.  Seems so sad to me that it had been allowed neglect and made me wonder how many other landmarks need support? Angel Island is indeed of historic importance, but again, how does care for these irreplaceables fall behind? Example, with the listed theaters, can’t local fund raisers be organized to maintain rather than wait for $$$$$dramatic restorations$$$$$ after detereriated? Maybe we can teach a new generation to be responsible for what they love rather than an expectation of someone else fixing or funding?

Posted: 24 September 2006 12:06 AM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-05-09

I just checked the latest tally and the Pigeon Point Lighthouse has moved up from number 4 to number 3 in the voting. If we all keep voting each day we may be able to take over the number 1 spot.

Thanks.

Posted: 24 September 2006 03:22 PM   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

I’m a bit disappointed that they may not have current photos of the most of the sites.  I’m not familiar with any of the sites except Pigeon Point, but from that one data point and intuition looking at all the photos, I have to wonder what all of the sites currently look like.  The last photo of the the Pigeon Point lighthouse that I remember seeing in the newspaper looked pretty bad, so I can’t help but wonder if Pigeon Point might get more votes if people saw its current condition for comparision.  I just uploaded some of my photos from the 2001 lighting event there, but that was prior to a piece of the building falling off…