Harbor District moves its offices back to the coast
The Harbor Commission voted unanimously on April 2 to purchase the building at 504 Avenue Alhambra in El Granada where they will relocate their administrative offices from rented quarters in South San Francisco which they have occupied for almost 10 years.
The 2004 decision to move out of cramped quarters at Pillar Point Harbor was a contentious one, with former Commissioners Campbell and Lundie opposed. The move to rented quarters was meant to be temporary, up to five years, during which time staff would find permanent office space back on the coast for which rent payments would not be required. Office rent at Oyster Point Marina Plaza costs the Harbor District $90,000 per year.
Over the years, simple administrative office needs evolved into plans for construction of a much larger multi-use building on the waterfront at Pillar Point Harbor, which met with public resistance and had no confirmed tenants. The District is just now beginning the process of developing a Strategic Business Plan to update their goals.
The $1.8 million purchase price for the 8,050-square-foot, three-story building at 504 Avenue Alhambra will be paid in cash. The District has reserves set aside for this purpose from the sale of parcels deeded to it in the 1950’s along Obispo Road in El Granada: the firehouse, Burnham Strip, and the empty lot next to the Post Office. The third floor of the building is currently leased by Granada Sanitary District for $3,000/month, and it is expected that they will stay.