Slide show: Big Wave hearing presentation by Sabrina Brennan

Sun, November 21, 2010

Sabrina Brennan's presentation was one of the best at the Big Wave EIR hearing. After Big Wave's engineer claimed that the Pillar Point breakwater would dissipate the energy from any tsunami, Sabrina quoted from the EIR itself to show that it could focus and amplify a tsunami, increasing its height and its reach by creating a seiche. That was a new vocabulary word for nearly all of us.

Mon, November 22, 2010 10:02am
Kevin Barron

Q. Curious if this is such a dangerous area, why do we allow ANY development there, moreover be freaking out that everyone in the zone is not mitigating the danger? Why is this only being brought up because of this project? This rhetoric is about anti-big Wave, and I see little or no proactive effort for the existing folks there… given the armchair tsunami expertise that has arisen on the coast?

A. The only danger here is NIMBY.

Mon, November 22, 2010 1:09pm
Lisa Ketcham

Kevin, your questions are answered in the County’s zoning ordinance Section 6326.2 Tsunami Inundation Area Criteria which does not allow schools, hospitals, nursing homes, or other buildings or development used primarily by children or physically or mentally infirm persons in the tsunami zone.

“...The only danger here is NIMBY…”

Actually, the only danger here is ignorance, apathy, and the desire for a self-centered yuppie lifestyle, i.e., people moving to an area because of its perceived natural beauty and uniqueness, but then, not only never lifting a finger to actually help protect the place, but instead going out of their way to support the forces which seek to exploit for profit the very uniqueness that drew them here (like moths) in the first place.

Wed, November 24, 2010 8:44am
Kevin Barron

“ignorance, apathy, and the desire for a self-centered yuppie lifestyle”

classic.

Wed, November 24, 2010 10:36am

I would have phrased it differently: A desire to emulate Newport Beach in Half Moon Bay.

I’m tired of testimony that begins with the speaker saying how much they love the natural environment of the Coastside before plumping for some boneheaded megaproject.

We got some of that from commissioner Rankin yesterday who told us he moved to the coast because it was so beautiful as a result of the good work of “longtime antidevelopment advocates” before he cast his vote in favor of Big Wave.

Wed, November 24, 2010 12:27pm
Kevin Barron
Wed, November 24, 2010 7:04pm

I’m not talking about the Big Wave in particular, but the mindset that sees open space as “unimproved” and prefers landscaping to natural vegetation.  Having said that, Princeton will soon have a 5pm rush hour that will be reminiscent of a Newport Beach, only on rutted two-lane streets, rather than glorious six-lane avenues.

Although that image of Princeton and Moss Beach today, reminds me of this one of Newport Beach in 1934: