Editing of previously posted Town Hall forum posts
Posted: 17 October 2006 06:14 PM
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2004-10-05

In another topic, the question was raised of whether editing of previous posts should be allowed.  Barry is thinking about disabling that feature.  He requested that this discussion take place over in this category.

I’ve seen other forum software which allows editing of posts, but it doesn’t actually allow old text to be changed—it puts EDIT: at the bottom followed by the new text.  I think that’s an appropriate way to do it.  I agree that changing previous text is not a good idea, but it’s frequently better to add to a previous post saying “oops”, rather than rely on readers to discover a correction which might be pretty far down in a thread.  If the vendor could change the software to support that approach, I think it would be great.  Otherwise, I’d reluctantly support disabling editing.  Rediscover the lost art of proofreading!

Posted: 17 October 2006 09:57 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2005-09-10

I would prefer no editing of posts—otherwise it screws up the “conversation.”  I would like to see an exception made for an after-the-fact spell check, if the technology permits…

—Darin

Posted: 18 October 2006 10:26 AM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-06-30

I tried the “edit” feature and noted that there was no indication in the post that it had been edited. Some other forums where I interact do have a note that a post was edited and the time and date. I have not run into the feature that Leonard mentions that allows you to edit by addition but does not change the old text. That’s a good feature!

But perhaps not allowing editing after the fact and posting an “oops” as Leonard also suggests is the best option, so that readers can keep up with the conversation. Of course, someone can always take the “pre-oops” words out of context. However, as far as I can see, you can’t link directiy to any one post and must link to the whole topic, so the correction would be there.

As far as Darin’s request for an after the fact spell correction—we all know that spelling flames (or even mild ridicule of spelling and grammar mistakes) are considered silly and childish by people who are online much. An “oops” would remedy any glaring spellling/grammar errors that the writer is ashamed of.