The good old days
Posted: 26 December 2006 01:26 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-06-30

I wasn’t sure where this might fit in:

Community—People and organizations on the Coastside

Environment—In addition to animals, plants, natural resources and natural history, this includes water and sewer districts, POST, and MROSD.

Or

Business—Local business includes downtown HMB, fishing, farming, and more

So, you can see that I decided on Business and that’s mostly because that’s where farming seemed to fit in.

I have been allowed access to a collection of nineteenth century editions of the Pacific Rural Press (later to become the California Farmer). I am in the process of extracting the few articles I can find having to do with the San Mateo County coastside. The attitudes expressed might give insight into “the way things were” and perhaps spark a little modern day discussion. See the next post for the first article.

A large picture of the Pacific Rural Press masthead (I think that’s what it’s called…) can be viewed here.

Posted: 26 December 2006 01:29 PM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-30

From November 22, 1890, Pacific Rural Press Grange News section:

Peacadero, No 32,

Meets at Good Templars’ hall, in the village of Pescadero, San Mateo county, on the first Saturday of the month, at 2 P. M.  Floods and la grippe prevented its meetings for several months the past winter; but it is in a flourishing condition at this time, considering the obstacles to be overcome. Much of the country is held in large tracts and under lease to foreigners of a class that do not affiliate with the Grange under any circumstances, and the principal business is dairying. The good material for a Grange is scattered over a large area and prevented from attending the Grange by the nature of their business. Twelve members have been added to the membership in the last two months, making 41 in all.

We have one application for membership now and expect others soon. Our dues to the State Grange have always been paid promptly, and I am instructed by a unanimous vote to oppose their reduction, as it is believed that something does not come of nothing and we intend to help bring the good time, for we desire to feel that we have an honest right to enjoy it with you when it comes, as come it must if we are all faithful to the pure, ennobling principles of our Order.

We have good music, vocal and instrumental, and are trying to make harmony in our souls. The W. L. of the State Grange has paid us one visit, which was of much service, the commencement of our present prosperity.

Pescadero Grange has never received but two visits from officers of the State Grange, except your humble servant, who was always with them while honored with such position. The latch-string is out, fellow-Patrons; visit us and we will try to make you happy.  I. C. STEELE, Master.

You can find out more about I. C. Steele in the book Portraits of Pescadero which this article says is available at Bay Book Company, Moon News and Coastside Books in Half Moon Bay. (Please buy locally or check out the library!) I believe this must have been the elder I. C. Steele.

Posted: 31 December 2006 01:52 PM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-30

Another item. This time from the Saturday, July 3, 1886 Pacific Rural Press. It appears that they took their news from the local Times and Gazette (not sure if that’s San Mateo or Redwood City—one of our historians could enlighten us perhaps).

San Mateo County

HAY AND FEED—Times and Gazette June 26: The amount of hay cut in this county this year probably exceeds the amount cut here any previous year. It is good hay, too, for the most part, though mustard, wild turnips and thistles fouled many fields badly. On the mountain pastures the native grasses have not been so fine for many a year. Many fields that would not support 100 head of cattle last year will easily carry 150 head this year. The abundant late rains brought out the wild oats, the alfileria and other favorite grasses with stock.

If dairy products were what they were last year, or if beef cattle were not so cheap, the outlook for dairymen and cattlemen in this county would be exceptionally bright. Unfortunately, though hay was never more abundant or more cheap, pasture never more luxuriant and young stock never more easily obtainable, the dairymen and cattlemen of the county are not doing so well as they ought to be doing. “Best butter” —and San Mateo county makes as good butter as does Marin or Mendocino—is now wholesaling at from 14 to 16 cents a pound. “Good butter” wholesales at from 10 to 13 cents; “ordinary,” at from 8 to 11 cents. Circumstances prevent many excellent butter-makers from producing “best” butter; and even at 15 cents a pound it is hard to make ends meet on a dairy ranch.

Only close economy, careful management, unflagging industry and favorable natural conditions may enable dairy farmers who own their own farms and are out of debt to pay fair wages and keep out of debt. But a large number of dairymen in this county are not out of debt. Some of them have purchased land on part payment and are under heavy interest expense. Many of them are running behind at a rate that must mean ruin to them unless they can retrench in some way at present not clear to them or known to the writer

This is around the time my great-grandfather settled at San Gregorio. I’m afraid that he may have been (as the first excerpted article mentioned) one of those “foreigners of a class that do not affiliate with the Grange under any circumstances.” He was Azorean Portuguese and was probably too busy working to pay off his property (which he did) to attend meetings in Pescadero.

Posted: 21 February 2007 10:54 PM   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-06-30

Here’s an interesting reminder of the good old days.

(First, a disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing to do with this item. I do not know the seller and have nothing to gain from its sale.)

Someone on ebay is offering a cash register originally made for the H. F. Levy Co. of Half Moon Bay.

I will leave it up to the usual suspects to debate the pros and cons of an overly wealthy local capitalist purchasing this item to showcase in a local tourist attraction.